Thursday, January 22, 2015

Unseen university students


Photo: University students hold placards during a demonstration against satirical French weekly Charlie Hebdo, which featured a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammad as the cover of its first edition since an attack by Islamist gunmen, in Somalia's capital Mogadishu, Jan. 17. Source Reuters / Feisal Omar, copied from newsdaily.com. The placards state: "I am a Muslim and I love my Prophet".

You cannot make this image up.

If these young ladies dress and behave like this by their own free choice... then I think that the University of Mogadishu needs an urgent and profound revision of its enrollment procedures.

However, if they are acting under pressure, they have all my sympathy.

I suspect this is the case at least for the girl at right. Look at her! She is wearing a piece of orange cloth, she has bright red polish on her nails and jewelry on her left hand. As far as I know, all these things are haram.

While it must be highly inconvenient to wear such clothes particularly in Somalia's climate, they have at least one advantage. If 20-25 years from now Somalis feel ashamed about these rallies, every single woman can claim that she has not been there and no one can prove the opposite, no matter how many photos have documented her presence.

Truly an Unseen University!


No comments: